Curious about ways to get out and volunteer? Check here for updates on upcoming volunteer events that you may want to get involved with!
Ask a Tree Care Advisor at the State Fair
As many of us know, the State Fair is coming up quickly. And as many of us know, the Ask a Tree Care Advisor booth in the Eco Experience Buidling is a great way to get your volunteer hours in and interact with the public.
Time Needed: August 24th, 2017 –September 4th, 2017
4-hour shift – either 10am-2pm or 2pm-6pm.
Maximum 2 volunteers per shift
Position Title: Talking about Trees
Location: EcoExperience building at the Minnesota State Fair www.ecoexperience.org
Purpose of the Position: To answer all kinds of visitor questions about trees. This is the fourth year the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency and Tree Care Advisors have partnered on an exhibit on the benefits of urban trees in the Eco Experience Building at the State Fair. It has been very successful and fairgoers love the practical information. This year a second volunteer per shift has been added.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Talk about tree selection
- Talk about what the best way to plant a tree and its maintenance
- Answer any visitor questions about trees
- You need to be comfortable answering citizen questions about trees
- You need to be approachable and have an inviting presence
Commitment Expected: The TCA is looking for people to volunteer for one (or more) 4 hours shift(s).
Benefits: You get one free ticket to the Fair per shift (two tickets for working Labor Day).
Additional Comments: Please view the following videos to prepare you for your volunteer experience:
Below are details for getting registered:
- If you haven’t volunteered at the Eco Experience before, fill out the Eco Experience Staff Form: https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/ap?AP=1636466460 Special Instructions for Tree Care Advisors: When you create a new login, under 'I am a....", select "Tree Care Advisor" and under "MPCA Division, select "I am not a MPCA employee". Once you receive a confirmation e-mail, click on the Volunteer Information Link to log in to your account.
- If you have volunteered at the Eco Experience, log in to the Volunteer Information Center: https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/?FROM=57409
- Sign up for your shifts! From the "Home" tab, first select "Sign-up" or select "My Schedule" (both buttons will take you to the same place). You can select from any of the dates available that display a "Help Wanted" image. You can use the controls below the calendar to advance to the proper month. Please select the date you prefer and then you can click 'Schedule Me' next to the shift you wish to fill. You will only see shifts that you are eligible to work. After selecting a shift, you will be prompted to confirm whether or not the shift is correct, and select "Yes" or "No". By clicking 'Continue", you will be returned to the calendar screen where you can schedule more shifts, view your schedule, or exit.
If you have any questions about registration, see the Volgistics Volunteer Sign Up Instructions. If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact Willa Childress at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (651) 757-2865.
Great River Greening - Volunteer Supervisor
Do you enjoy leading, teaching, and motivating others? Are you an experienced Great River Greening volunteer interested in taking on a leadership role at one of our restoration events? Do you care about the environment and want to make a lasting impact? If you answered yes to any of these, then sign up toady to become a Volunteer Supervisor!
Check out the How to Become a Volunteer Supervisor Flyer to learn more!
Learning with Trees Liaison
The Learning with Trees Liaison will act as a point person for schools who have participated in Tree Trust’s Learning with Trees program to provide them with expertise and guidance in tree care. The liaison will set up and help execute an individualize tree maintenance plan for the school through volunteer events and hands-on activities including watering, weeding, mulching and pruning. Yearly time commitment will be a variable and will be dependent on the needs of the school. Anticipate an average of 25 hours per year and to be involved for 2-3 years with the assigned school. More Information: Learning with Trees Liaison Position Description
This year, Tree Trust will be working with following schools:
- North Trail Elementary - 5580 170th St. W, Farmington, MN 55024
- Lake Marion Elementary - 19875 Dodd Blvd., Lakeville, MN 55044\
- Raven Stream Elementary - 300 11th Ave NW, New Prague, MN 56071
- Brooklyn Middle School - 7377 Noble Ave N, Brooklyn Park, MN 55443
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit either an online application or phyiscal application to Diana Preisen at Tree Trust to be considered for the position. Tree Trust is currently look for Tree Care Advisors to assist with the 4 new schools initally. Additional applicants will be paired with previous schools that need similar assistance. This pairing will be based on distance of travel you note in your application.
Online Application: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/37N38LW
Paper Application: Learning with Trees Liaison Application